Curriculum - EdS in Secondary Education
Courses for the program are offered weekends, evenings, online, and in a web-assisted
format combining face-to-face meetings with online coursework. Students have the option
of applying to the main campus program or the program offered at UA’s Gadsden Center.
The program consists of 30 credit hours beyond the MA degree.
Students are required to take the following courses:
One of the following classes:
- CSE 663 - Improving Language Arts Instruction
- CSE 664 - Improving Social Science Instruction
- CSE 665 - Improving Science Instruction
- CSE 666 - Improving Mathematics Instruction
- CSE 670 - Research and Theory in Secondary Education
- CSE 693 - Advanced Workshop in Secondary Education or CSE 697 - Educational Specialist Degree Research
- Approved BER Graduate Level Research Course (540, 600, 631 or CSE 695 are preferred)
- Approved BEF Graduate Level Foundations Course
- Teaching Field: 12 semester hours
- In addition to teaching field courses, please review the following program outlines
for courses required by your specialty:
- Elective approved by advisor: Three semester hours
In addition to the required courses, students must pass a comprehensive written examination
prior to completion of the program.