Admission Requirements/Process

What are the requirements for admission into Graduate degree programs?

The minimum requirements for admission to Graduate School are:

  1. Completion of an undergraduate degree from a regionally-accredited institution or the foreign equivalent for an international applicant.
  2. An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 overall or a 3.0 for the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework.
  3. If seeking an additional master’s or other advanced degree, a 3.0 is required for the completed degree from an accredited institution.
  4. The applicant must have a score on the appropriate entrance examination that is acceptable for regular admission, if required by the department or degree program to which the applicant is seeking admission.

Application for admission must be submitted at least six (6) weeks prior to the planned entry term.

Individual departments may have additional or higher admissions requirements than the minimum requirements listed above.  Additional requirements can be viewed on the Graduate School website at graduate.ua.edu.

How do I begin the admission process for a graduate degree program?

The admission process begins with the completion of a graduate application. The graduate application may be found by clicking here and completed online.

What is the time frame for beginning and completing a degree program (i.e., deadlines/calendar)?

Master’s students must complete degree requirements within six (6) years. Doctoral and specialist degree students must complete degree requirements within seven (7) years.

What is involved in transferring from a different institution to The University of Alabama?

  1. Complete the appropriate application for admission to The University of Alabama.
  2. Request to have transcripts from all previously attended institutions sent to The University of Alabama.

Will my previous credit hours be transferred/accepted when I start my distance degree program?

Transfer credit is evaluated after UA admission is granted and all transcripts from other colleges or institutions attended have been received. Graduate transfer credit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Will my previous test scores such as GRE, MAT, or GMAT be accepted? Is there a specific length of time the scores remain acceptable?

Previous entrance exam scores will be accepted if the score meets minimum requirements and is less than five (5) years old.

Tuition/Financial Aid/Scholarships

What is the tuition cost per credit hour for graduate degree programs?

Tuition cost varies from year to year and is set prior to the fall semester of the academic year. Current tuition rates may be found at cost.ua.edu.

What is included/not included in tuition?

Students enrolled in Gadsden courses are only charged the hourly course rate and applicable course fees.

Does the program delivery format affect the cost?

No.  If you are enrolled in a Gadsden program, there is no difference.  You will be charged the Gadsden rate (hourly tuition rate).

Is there a difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition for distance learning?

The College of Continuing Studies provides an out-of-state tuition waiver grant for those who qualify.  Call (256) 546-2886 or 1-888-223-4131 for an an application.  This grant applies only to programs at the UA Gadsden Center.

What types of financial aid and scholarships are available and how would I apply? How is eligibility determined?

Students enrolled in distance degree programs are eligible to apply for federal financial aid. You may view financial aid information by visiting financialaid.ua.edu.

The College of Continuing Studies offers several scholarship opportunities each year.  A list of available scholarships can be found by clicking here.

The College of Education offers several scholarship opportunities each year.  To view available scholarships please visit education.ua.edu/graduate/graduate-scholarships/.

To view all University of Alabama Graduate School scholarships and grants, please click here.

What is the policy regarding non-University tuition assistance (i.e., financial aid, scholarships, grants) such as Air Force Tuition Assistance?

The University of Alabama does allow students to use employee assistance or other forms of tuition assistance programs to cover tuition cost.  Arrangements for such tuition assistance payments to be applied to your account must be made with the Student Receivables office (Third Party Billing) here at The University of Alabama.

Does The University of Alabama participate in the “Yellow Ribbon” program for military personnel?

Yes. The University of Alabama is a participating institution with the “Yellow Ribbon” tuition assistance program for military personnel.  Also, beginning October 1st, 2009, qualified reserve members may utilize their Post-911 GI Bill tuition assistance benefits at The University of Alabama.

Printed Materials/Specific Degree Questions/Program Offerings/Curriculum

Is there a place where I can find/print/request all of the necessary information for specific degree programs (i.e., admission, cost, curriculum, objective, formats)?

Information on all of the degree programs and special programs offered by The University of Alabama Gadsden Center may be found by clicking here.

Student Services

Am I eligible to purchase student football ticket packages?

The University of Alabama Gadsden Center tuition rate does not include the activity fee. Therefore, students who wish to be eligible to purchase tickets to athletic events at the student rate must pay the activity fee in addition to the regular distance tuition charge.

What resources are available to assist students academically?

The Center for Teaching and Learning provides online tutorial assistance for most of the general core courses.  The Writing Center provides assistance with written course assignments. You may obtain additional information regarding academic resources at: sss.ua.edu.